Compiling 64 bit kernel on 32 bit linux

Quentin Fennessy qfennessy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 13:34:34 UTC 2004

Alexander Viro just posted a how-to for cross-compilation on the linux-kernel
list. You can fid it at:
http://www.kernel-traffic.org/kernel-traffic/latest.html#10

He says:

    Contrary to popular beliefs, crosscompiling and full builds for a
bunch of platforms
   are not hard and not particulary time-consuming. Below are my notes
on the setup
   and practices; I hope it will be useful and I really_ hope that
people will start
   doing similar things.

   On my boxen full rebuild for 6 platforms (allmodconfig on each)
takes about an
   hour and normally is done once per new upstream tree; build-and-compare after
   making changes usually takes less than a minute total (again, for all these
   targets). IOW, it's fairly tolerable.