FC3 install on SATA

G. Vamsee Krishna vamsee_k at students.iiit.net
Sat Nov 20 18:58:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Matthew E. Lauterbach wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck with installing either i386 or x86_64 to SATA on
> an AMD64?  I get kernel panics like in bug 139674 on boot.  The patched
> kernel is not fixing it for me.  This may be specific to my Chaintech
> VNF3-250 motherboard.  The only other person I know of with this problem
> also has the same motherboard.  Has anyone done a successful install of
> either i386 or x86_64 onto SATA with a nForce3 motherboard?

I've installed FC3 on my AMD64 (x86_64). Motherboard is MSI with VIA 8237
chipset and nVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. Samsung SATA hard disk.
Had only one problem only once. The installation exited with a message
"installation terminate abnormally". I tried installing again and it
worked fine. It seems to be very stable compared to FC2, atleast on my
system.

Regards,
Vamsee

--
experience is what you get when you don't get what you really wanted