Samba Update

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Sep 8 05:44:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, John Garmany wrote:

> Hi, is anyone else getting the a dependencies problems when you run up2date?
>
> I get the message:
> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> samba-3.0.3-5     requires samba-common = 0:3.0.3

Looks like RH forgot to publish an i386 version of the updated samba
package for x86_64. I don't remember what exactly (if anything) requires
the i386 version on x86_64 but it's there and gets installed by default
from "Compatibility Arch Support" section. So up2date tries to update the
x86_64 version of samba packages which would pull in samba-common 3.0.6
which in turn would break the i386 version's dependencies.

> When I run rpm -qa|grep samba  I get samba-common-3.0.3-5
> I also get two entrys for samba-3.0.3-5
>
>  rpm -qa |grep samba
> sambe-client-3.0.3-5
> samba-common-3.0.3-5
> system-config-samba-1.2.9-2
> samba-3.0.3-5
> samba-3.0.3-5
>
> How did I end up with two copies of samba and how do I get rid of one?
> Is the extra samba causing the unresolved chain of dependencies?

They're not really two copies, the other one is built for i386 and the
other for x86_64 (you can check with
'rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}.%{arch}\n |grep samba')
To remove such "duplicates" you can append the architecture to rpm
commands, eg to remove i386 version of samba you'd use 'rpm -e samba.i386'
The real fix however is for RH to push the updated i386 samba package for
x86_64 as well. Or you can point up2date to the i386 update repository
in addition to the x86_64 repo as a workaround.

	- Panu -