Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 16 21:02:10 UTC 2005

Stefan Schroepfer <whoknows at onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Just to be sure: Are you looking for a Dual-Socket-940
> system, equipped with two Dual-Core Opteron CPUs (totalling
> in four CPU cores)? Or is it a Single-Socket-939 System,
> equipped with one Dual-Core Athlon64 X2 CPU,
> what you are looking for?

Don't forget about Socket-940 Opteron 1xx, including new
dual-core Opteron 1x5 models.  I know the next generation of
Opteron 1xx series will be Socket-939 with unregistered DIMM
support, but there are a number of Socket-940 Opteron 1xx
mainboards and processors now.

Such as the Foxconn NFPIK8AA-8EKRS for about $230+:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=NFPIK8AA-8EKRS

No PCI-X, but it is the full nForce Pro 2200 + 2050 combo.
There are full PCIe x16 and a PCIe x4 slot.  That's room for
PCIe x8 storage and PCIe x4 NIC, good for an entry server
(along with 8 SATA channels and 2 GbE ports on-board).

> In the latter case, it will be difficult (if not
> impossible) to acquire appropriate memory modules to reach
> 8 GB of RAM.  Single-Socket-939 Mainboards usually have
> four DIMM sockets, requiring unregistered memory.

And JEDEC specs only allow 1 DIMM per DDR400 channel.
You have to drop to DDR333 (or DDR266) to use 2 DIMMs per
channel.

> So far, I didn't hear about available unregistered
> (DDR-SDRAM-) DIMM modules greater than 1 GB.

Nope.  But with the Foxconn NFPIK8AA-8EKRS, you can use even
DDR400 DIMMs (Registered) and achieve 8GiB.