Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 19 05:14:09 UTC 2005

> Yes, but the PCIe storage cards are _no_where_.  That's the problem.

Er, umm, you mean besides lsi-logic, promise, intel, SIIG, megaraid,
tekram, and friends.  You might want to check some obscure places like
buy.com, amazon.com, or newegg.com

> I like the HT-1000 because it's a single chip, probably low cost, and it
> gives you _both_ a PCI-X channel _and_ a PCIe x8 in a single chip.  That
> would make for a powerful, but inexpensive, "entry-level" server.

Er, there are plenty of cheap solutions out there, there are pci-e sata
cards starting at $80 ish with the silicon image chipset on it.  It's
fairly easy to buy single socket pci-e motherboards with 8 sata ports for
under $200.

> Now only if the products were available.  ;->

Er, I bought a fileserver with one, and the desktop pci-e board I have had
for 6 months or so has 8 sata ports.  All the big popular hardware
distributors seem to have pci-e raid cards.

> I would never suggest otherwise, but there are also a lot of system
> assemblers and, even more so, consultants who don't.  They are selling
> non-PCI-X systems, and putting in storage controllers on the legacy PCI
> bus (yikes!).

Yeah, definitely although many of the hardware raid cards can't manage
faster than legacy PCI bandwidth anyways.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering