Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 24 14:33:43 UTC 2005

> Then you obviously haven't used 3Ware.

actually I have.  it works OK, not fast, but stable.

> But when you have a 500MHz XScale with an internal interconnect that
> ripples through I/O far better than a 3GHz CPU, and you aren't making

OK, show me the numbers.  show me the 12 GB/s memory interface on your
XScale card, show me the r5 engine that can run at 8 GB/s.  certainly
possible, but I don't think they exist.  and if they did, who would use
them?  even high-end scsi raid cards with multiple channels and BB-cache
seem to run at only a couple hundred MB/s.  and there aren't really that
many systems that can sustain that kind of throughput.  (I have a $9M
cluster arriving next month that will sustain about 3 GB/s - 12 object
storage servers over quadrics...)

> I've often found Solaris to be much better at tracking such interconnect

ah, no wonder.  I had the feeling you were actually pining away for something
other than linux - this used to happen a lot with *BSDers slumming on linux
lists.