SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Dec 4 23:38:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 16:48 -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
> I was asking for something other than hearsay.  yes, I'm familiar with
> the prevalent rating of 50K power cycles - it's right there in the drive
> specs.  I'm looking for a hard reference to an MTBF.

No hard drive vendor will commit to even 400,000 hours MTBF anymore.
Now doesn't that tell you something?!

> again, where do you get this number?

Seagate NL35:  1,000,000 hours MTBF
[ The enterprise version of Seagate's Barracuda ATA ]

http://www.seagate.com/products/enterprise/nl35.html

Western Digital Caviar RE:  1,000,000 hours MTBF
[ The enterprise version of Western Digital's Caviar SE ]

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=114

I can get you more if you wish.  ;->

> no.  I stopped being able to find MTBF mentioned in Maxtor/Seagate/WD
> drives at least 5 years ago.  HGST nee IBM did used to publish the numbers,
> but it doesn't appear in the current 7K500 spec, and I think it disappeared
> around the 250G generation.

You obviously aren't looking hard enough.

> Maxtor et all stopped publishing MTBF's well over 3 years ago, and the
> number was 3-500K hours at that time.  the 1.4M number is obviously still
> being published in "enterprise" product lines.

Yes, and they are _not_ commodity capacities, but the 18, 36, 73 and
146GB capacities.

> OK.  it would be polite to offer such disclaimers at the top of your
> messages.

Trust takes years of providing continually sound technical information,
so I know that won't happen overnight.  Until then, feel free to assume
I pull things right out of my ass.

But one thing you'll note about me is that I'm the first person to admit
when I'm wrong.  Those lists I've been on for 5+ years know this, and
it's a rather humorous moment for most when I actually get something
wrong -- especially when I'm the first to admit it.  ;->

Until then, got any Preparation-H because I have a feeling that you'll
be in my ass for quite awhile.  ;->

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com