Opteron Vs. Athlon X2

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 6 05:21:47 UTC 2005

Thanks Peter, Bryan, and Bill for your thoughts.

I would like to keep to a budget of about USD $600-700 for a CPU
upgrade. I want to both develop and use open source software, which
means a lot of code-compile-test cycles. I want the compiles to finish
quickly. For example, PHP 6.0 (from snaps.php.net) takes about 4-5
minutes to compile on my single core Athlon 64 3500+, and I'd like to
cut the compile time in half. I also want to do web development with PHP
and databases. I want to be able to keep up with the current  CPUs and
get exposure to them.

With these goals in mind what hardware will give me what I want and fit
inside that $700? What do you think will work for me? I want to make use
of my existing power supply, memory, and drives as much as possible. If
I have to replace my motherboard, I'll consider it.

So -- and I say this with humor! -- what can I ask my wife to give me
for Christmas without generating heavy expense but still be good enough
for me, a computer programmer who does a lot of development?

Thanks

Bob Cochran