Opteron Vs. Athlon X2

John Haxby jch at scalix.com
Tue Dec 6 09:16:18 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I would like to keep to a budget of about USD $600-700 for a CPU
> upgrade. I want to both develop and use open source software, which
> means a lot of code-compile-test cycles. I want the compiles to finish
> quickly. For example, PHP 6.0 (from snaps.php.net) takes about 4-5
> minutes to compile on my single core Athlon 64 3500+, and I'd like to
> cut the compile time in half. I also want to do web development with
> PHP and databases. I want to be able to keep up with the current  CPUs
> and get exposure to them.

When you're compiling is your CPU running at 100% (near enough)?
Chances are it is, in which case you should benefit from an extra CPU so
long as you run either "make -j2" or "cc -pipe" (or both).  A while back
when I had an two processor machine for development I found that "cc
-pipe" ("make -j2" didn't work with the broken build system) cut
compilation time dramatically and both CPUs were busy instead of just
one of them.

The other advantage of an dual CPU system, at least for software
development, was that the autotests found several bugs that  we simply
hadn't seen before -- every one of them some sort of race condition it
was easy to trigger when you can have two processes running at the same
time.

jch