SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Dec 7 22:28:18 UTC 2005

Maurice Hilarius <maurice at harddata.com> wrote:
> Just to wade in here, the new S-ATA RAID drives from WD (
> 2500Yd and 4000YR) have claimed MTBF of 1.2 million hours.

Yes, the Caviar RE2 series.  I mentioned exactly that in my

> Seagate also have very long MTBFs on their NL 35 models

Also what I've been saying repeatedly.  ;->

If these are the "enterprise" versions of their "commodity
capacity" drives, and offering 1.0+M, then the standard
OEM/desktop rated models of the exact same capacity/technical
specifications that come off the same line aren't over 1.0M.

That has been my continuous point.  ;->

[ Again, the current NL35 are enterprise-rated Barracuda
7200.8, the Caviar RE are enterprise-rated Caviar SE.  The
RE2 are the 16MB Caviar SE versions. ]