SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- providing technical information

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Dec 8 00:59:36 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 19:45, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> > Yeah - HGST makes the WD drives except possibly the
> > Raptors.
>
> Actually, I've all but first-hand confirmed the WD Raptors
> roll off the same line as the Hitachi 10K Ultrastars.
>
> > There are a few reports that say the Raptor line is made by
> > Seagate but no one seems to know for sure.
>
> If this is true, I'd love to confirm it.  WD shops around as
> they really don't have any fab production of their own
> anymore.
Please let me know if you figure it out. I used to know a bunch of guys at
seagate but just like everyone else Seagate has outsources a bit in the last
2 years...

> I have.  I've had a 2nd ATA disk fail on an 8-channel 3Ware
> card while it was in the middle of a RAID-5 rebuild.  These
> were before the new crop of enterprise, commodity capacity
> disks.
Did you have a hot spare? We usually run 0+1 or 10 and have a hot spare.

> RAID-6 is starting to appear to combat this exact scenario.
Yes - but performance on a rebuild is an issue there...

> I've typically preferred RAID-10, in addition to the
> performance benefits, because it gave me almost 50% chance
> that a 2nd disk failure wouldn't be the other part of the
> mirror.
If I can I go 10 or 0+1 as well. But we use raid 5 where we don't have enough
capacity and even there we had no issues.

> > If anything happened, the hot spare always kicked in and
>
> the
>
> > rebuilt went fine and everyone was happy. You throw out the
> > bad disk and pop in a new one.
>
> As I put it in my engineering statistics class best long ago,
> "Sigma has a way of catching up with you over time."
:-)

> And damn if I didn't predict several risk scenarios that were
> ignored at a few clients.  ;->
>
> I pay the extra 10-20% for a Seagate NL35 or Western Digital
> Caviar RE for 24x7 systems that have RAID.
*nods* We do that too now. We had problems RMAing regular pata/sata disks that
we ran 24x7.

Peter.