Using Intel compiler for EM64T on x86_64

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Dec 9 18:31:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 16:52 +0700, Somsak Sriprayoonsakul wrote:
> Hello,
>     Does anyone in the list ever use Intel Compiler, which has support
> for EM64T, on Opteron or Athlon64 machine? Does the generated binary
> totally compatible with Opteron? Also, how is the optimization being
> done? Does the program run faster compared with GCC or PGI?
>     Sorry if the question seems too stupid. We're having a cluster
> machine with some Scientific applications which require Fortran 90
> compiler, also it accepts only PGI Compiler or Intel Compiler so we
> can't use G95.

All your questions answered:
  http://www.swallowtail.org/naughty-intel.html

It's not a matter of compatibility, Opteron passes with flying colors,
even SSE3.  But it's a matter of intentionally detecting the Opteron,
and disabling functions -- even in version 8.0.  7.x was far worse.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com