bonnie++ Sun Fire X2100 on Solaris 10 and CentOS -- 5-year old system (my bonnie++)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 11 09:43:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 09:42:01PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 18:39 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > Here's a bonnie++ benchmark ...
>
> Run how?  Did you run it on the local system?  Over a NFS mount from 1
> client?  Or over a NFS mounts from hundreds of clients?

I posted these numbers (run on the local filesystem of course, since
not stated otherwise) because someone might be looking for data for
that particular machine, running under different operating systems.

> If you not seeing a repeat theme here, it's that I've continually put
> forth the point that once you start killing your system with other
> traffic from numerous systems, you need to reduce all the CPU-
> interconnection contention you can.  ;->

Remember, this is designated as a vserver box, attached to the world to a single
100 MBit Ethernet link, which is shared with other machines. It also has a second
private GBit Ethernet network, just because the switch was free.

> A local bonnie benchmark nets you little.  But I will see your call with
> a 5 year old system with 5 year old hard drives and an almost 5 year old
> 3Ware Escalade 7800.  ;->

This is not a competition. I have a particular $$$ budget in 1U and 4 GBytes ECC
and energy footprint, and IPMI remote management. This system is good for 400
VServers, and the storage is more than adequate for that.

> First off, the "Per Chr" the performance is _dismal_ because of the P3
> architecture and interconnect.  As you can regularly see, the CPU
> utilization is pegged near max, meaning even this almost 5 year old
> 3Ware Escalade 7800 card would be far more capable on the Opteron!

I only have one PCI-X slot, and only two drive cages. I wish there
was space for four drives, but it would interfere with airflow
(the system is a veritable leafblower as it is). Also, more drives
would mean more kWh. Rack kWh are expensive.

> Secondly, now look at the block operations.  Not bad CPU utilization
> rates on the block modes in comparison to yours -- a system over 4 years

It's a VServer system. The I/O will be largely idle.

> newer, with almost an order of magnitude greater memory and CPU
> interconnect.  Now here's the kicker ...
>
> My more "real world" rewrite block data transfer rate (DTR) is basically

I don't have any rewrites. It's largely a read-only environment, with few
VServers active at the same time.

> You could chalk it up to the fact that I have 6 discs in RAID-10, so the

I don't have space for 6 discs. I don't have the $$$ budget for 6 discs.
I don't have the energy budget for 6 disks.

> stripe is effectively 3x (3 discs, then mirrored totally 6) as many.
> But these are disks almost 5 years old!  Over 1/6th the density of your

250 GBytes RAID 1 is scraping the barrel for my requirements. I would
have gone for 500 GByte drives -- but I don't have the budget for 500 GByte
drives. This is still a hobby.

> drives!  It's the command queuing of the card.  It's that damn 64-bit
> ASIC on the 3Ware that is just off-loading so much from the CPU -- look,
> only 12% CPU utilization!  I know you only had 2%, but this is an _old_
> P3 850MHz!  And I'm rewriting 3x as much as you are!

If I had to build a database server, I would have chosen a different
machine.