Athlon 64, Memory Pricing

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Dec 14 01:15:24 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but are AMD
> processors (and memory sticks, come to think of it) cheaper
> to buy after Christmas?

Except for at initial product launch (when scarcity drives
massive/unethical spikes), immediate demand has very little
to do with semiconductor cost.  Semiconductor cost is largely
a factor of more longer-term trends, especially considering
the cost of fabs (billions USD) and sometimes it's cheaper to
keep a fab going than to shut it down (long, long
story/discussion).

> Or will pricing remain the same? I assume that among you
are
> experienced cpu snf memory buyers, and I'm always open to
> practical buying advice.

New CPU products drive down other prices.
Same deal with GPU.

Memory prices fluctuate far more radically.
Usually based on raw material supply more than anything.
Although fab capacity and longer-term demand are also
factors.

But virtually _nothing_ is due to short-term demand
With the exception of initial product launch.