install of 32bit libs conflict with 64bit versions

Jon LaBadie jlabadie at acm.org
Sun Feb 13 07:12:15 UTC 2005

On RHEL 3, x86_64 I've been trying to install some needed 32bit libs.
Most have installed without trouble, but a few report conflicts with
pathnames in the already installed 64bit versions.  As an example,
the glib-1.2 rpm installs /usr/bin/glib-config and a header file,
each with the same pathname, but different contents between the
two packages.

How should one handle this type of situation?

I'm not looking for specifics about this particular library,
though that would be appreciated, but general guidelines.