ethernet failure after update to kernel-2.6.10-1.766

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 17 14:27:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 13:37 +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 06:10:48AM -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 22:35 +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > > This afternoon I updated to kernel-2.6.10-1.766 on an AMD64 machine.
> > > MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo using the Realtek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> > > adapter.
> > > On rebooting networking did not come up and I got the kernel message
> > >  kernel: r8169: eth1: PHY reset until linkup
> > > Did any of the other users with this mobo and ethernet adapter
> > > using 64bit FC3 get this same problem.
> > > Is there a fix or will I have to revert to using the previous kernel.
>
> > I have the same MB, but usually use the forcedeth driver on eth0, but
> > switched interfaces after seeing you post.  I also got the same message
> > as you, but I was able to manually bring up the interface.  Same kernel.
>
> Well, I had a very messy 24 hours. At first I could also manually bring
> up the interface but not use it, no data was transmitted. Then after a
> restart X wouldn't startup.
> So I tried the previous kernel and got the same problem. I gave up then.
>
> This morning I booted with trepidation but lo and behold the problem
> appeared to have been 'cleared up' automagically.
>
> I would really like to know what happened. From googling I gather
> that this 'PHY reset' has been troubling previous kernels with Gigabit
> ethernet adapters. I don't even know what it (PHY) is.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Alexander

Automagic, a great thing.  The PHY usually means the physical components
that connect to the wire or fiber or radio.

I don't know whether the "PHY reset until linkup" message is an error or
just info indicating that the physical interface will remain in a reset
mode until a link is established.

Bob...