powernow-k8

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Jan 8 21:45:22 UTC 2005

I just found something interesting that other may find useful.  I have a
Compaq R3000z (athlon64 processor) with both i386 and x86_64 installations of
FC3.

When I bootup the x86_64 system, cpuspeed works by default and the cpu clock
will increase if the load increases.  However, on the i386 (i686 kernel)
system, this is not the case.

The reason is that the x86_64 kernel has powernow-k8 compiled into the kernel
whereas the i686 kernel has powernow-k8 as a module.

You need to edit /etc/cpuspeed and add the line:

DRIVER="powernow-k8"

--
Gene