FC3 won't boot on Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra-939

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Fri Jan 14 15:07:26 UTC 2005

Doug Stewart wrote:
> Howdy all,
> I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction on this one.
>
> I've recently acquired a spankin' new machine based on the K8NS-Ultra.
> I've got a single SATA drive attached to the Sil controller (I know, I
> know, the nForce SATA controller supposedly IS a Sil one; I'm talking
> about the separate one).
>
> 've installed FC3 (x86-64 edition) twice on it.  The install goes
> flawlessly, but when I reboot, I never even get to the grub screen - the
> bios just complains "No operating systems found".  FC seems to think I'm
> installing on /dev/sda, so on a hunch, I tried booting off a rescue disk
> and running `grub-install /dev/sda`.   This took far longer than I have
> ever encountered on a non-AMD64 system, but eventually came back and
> reported no errors.
>
> Upon reboot, I still received "No operating systems found".  Help!

Thanks to all who have replied to me off-list.  I'm thinking that, based
upon some additional Google researching (and the fact that the power
supply fan alarm is going off and issues I've had with a GeForce 6800 in
the machine) that it may, in fact, be a power supply issue.

I'll check back in once I know more.

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com