Opteron 32-bit or 64-bit

Arthur Perry kernel at linuxfarms.com
Tue Jan 25 20:01:53 UTC 2005

Hi Jason,

Yes, you can run 32 bit version of RHEL on X86_64.
However, you will not be taking advantage of the 64 bit capabilities.
You should not expect maximum performance from the machine under various
circumstances when running 32 bit software.

Existing 32 bit applications will not only run on the 32 bit version of
RHEL, but if you install the 64 bit version of RHEL, I believe that they
will run on that too.
This is one of the big selling points of using Opteron.
You can pretty much seamlessly move your 32 bit apps to this wonderful new
64 bit platform, with the intent of going 64 bit in the future.
Large footprint memory intensive applications will work best with the 64
bit.
Applications vary, and so may your mileage.