Current best recommendation for Athlon 64 motherboard?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Mar 2 00:24:59 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I agree with Bryan....I've been there before and had the same RAID
> troubles. Solution was to change my motherboard from Asus to Gigabyte
> and use Linux software RAID. It wasn't that hard getting RAID working
> and it was fun for a while, but then I coveted the mirror drive for
> other things and said the heck with RAID and went back to a single
> drive configuration (no RAID.)
>
> But my big problem at that time was I foolishly invested in (very
> expensive) RDRAM, and did so just as RDRAM was going downhill with
> avalanche speed. I had been very influenced by Maximim PC magazine
> when making my buying choices. Now I'm considerably wiser.

3Ware Escalade 7006-2 and 8006-2 cards are $100.

Now you can find older Escalade 6200 and 6410 on eBay for under $50.
The 6.9 firmware even updates them with 48-bit addressing (greater than
137GB/128GiB support).
But the newer 3DM2 (3Ware Disk Manager version 2) doesn't work with
those cards.
And the older 3DM interfaces are deprecated in the new 2.6 kernel.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
Currently Mobile