nForce4 motherboard recommendations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 30 10:09:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 10:56:58PM -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope this isn't too off topic.  This list is fairly slow, so
> hopefully y'all won't mind this question.  I'm looking at building a
> new desktop AMD64 system and am trying to decide on a motherboard to
> buy.  I want one with an nForce4 chipset and preferably in the ~$100

Recently, my designated home-RAID-server-to-be has croaked, so I wound
up purchasing a motherboard (Asus A8N-E), Athlon64 3000+ with Venice core,
and an extra stick of 512 MByte DDR memory. Unfortunately that board
took 24-pin ATX power connectors, so I had to purchase a new power
supply as well, as mine was only 20-pin.

I choose that board because it is cheap, doesn't have SLI (it's a
server), has nForce4 ultra chipset with GBit Ethernet and 4 DIMM
slots. I also verified the hardware was fully supported by recent
Linux kernels (I had to use Ubuntu Server 5.10 AMD64, as Debian AMD
64 Sarge didn't support all hardware out of the box, while the
daily unstable .iso images were, well, unstable.

The only minus of that board is a noisy chipset fan which is
prone to failures (I will probably have to replace it at some point).
A deluxe version of that board comes with SLI and heatpipe cooling
of the chipset