generating 32-bit RPM's

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:14:14 UTC 2005

On 9/8/05, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Is it possible to generate i386 binary RPM's on an x86_64 system?
>
> I tried the obvious --target switch to buildrpm and that did make an
> appropriately named RPM, but it still appeared to be built with 64-bit
> code and linked with the 64-bit libs.

Hi Wolfgang,

The --target switch should be the way to do it.  Are you sure that
what was made is 64-bit?  I think it might be possible that a
particular RPM is not setup right (with the spec file) to build 32-bit
on a 64-bit machine.  I think all the --target switch does is change
which sections of the spec file rpmbuild looks at.  I'm not extremely
knowledgeable of rpmbuild, so I could be wrong.  I have used it some
so what I say is what I have gathered when I used it.  My first step
would be to check the spec file.  Make sure under the i386 headings
that it adds the -m32 compile switch and links to /lib and /usr/lib
and not their 64 counterparts.  What package are you trying to build?

Jonathan

>       Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.

Ouch :).