generating 32-bit RPM's

Joshua Jensen joshua at iwsp.com
Fri Sep 9 18:08:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:52:20AM -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:

> I don't know about the "almost no RPMs do."  Almost all RPMs are built
> for multiple architectures.

You don't need multiple %ifarch statements to build a package for both
arches... so long as you are building them *natively on those
platforms*.  You need nothing special to get gcc to assume 64bits on a
64 bit platform. You need lots of special considerations though to
recompile for a platform that *isn't* native.  I've worked with a ton of
packages (even recompiled every single RPM in RHEL3), and besides
openssl, the kernel, and the glibc packages, there is nothing there to
support --target.

> > have to have a *cross compiler* installed on your x86_64 platform.  I
> > don't know that -m32 does all that you need.
>
> But, 32-bit and 64-bit are both x86.  It's not like he's trying to
> compile for SPARC or PowerPC here, which *would* need a
> cross-compiler.  See below.

No they aren't.  A 32 bit binary is very very different than a 64bit
one.  Sure, the machine code from IA32 looks more similar to x86-64 code
than say 64bit PPC, but it isn't the same and they should be considered
completely seperate archs.

--
Joshua Jensen
joshua at iwsp.com
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"