FC4 mp3 support..... need help

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Apr 1 13:02:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 07:55 +0100, kallol maji wrote:
> I have installed FC4 recently and I am a first time Linux user.
> I know Linux doesn't support mp3 format .

Umm, Linux very much _does_ support MP3, and has virtually since day 1!
But once someone started enforcing the MP3 patent, it was left out for
legal reasons since Fedora Core 1.

I use "lame" to encode and the "xmms-mp3" package to play.  _Both_ are
available from Livna.ORG, which is not only designed for Fedora Core,
but _unlike_other_ respositories, co-exists with Fedora Extras.

Most other 3rd party repsitories _break_ Fedora Extras.  Not Livna.ORG.

> We need to download some softwares . Can someone plz suggest from
> where can I download these packages.

The instructions on how to setup YUM to automagically pull packages from
Livna.ORG is here:
  http://rpm.livna.org/

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com