Kernel source

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Mon Apr 10 16:24:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 14:31 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven <arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> wrote:
> > I'm surprised... I thought fedora already came with the best driver
> > for that hardware built in...
>
> Not every MAC+PHY combination is supported for the GPL NIC driver
> (forcedeth) in the stock kernel or via patches to the kernel (addec
> by Red Hat).  So sometimes you want to load the nVidia NIC driver
> (nvnet) in the meantime until the GPL NIC driver (forcedeth) catches
> up.

this is one of the reason such (illegal) binary modules are bad. People
don't report or work with the open driver to get that one fixed, but
rather just jump to the binary junk. But that way linux as a whole
doesn't make progress and it doesn't get fixed for the future, giving
again a crappy experience in the next release.