Kernel source

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Apr 16 13:29:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 08:22 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> sure; I'd not call that a link kernel module though..

The kernel module _is_ the GPL portion _statically_linked_ with the NDIS
object code.  The _entire_unit_ executes as a whole, including the GPL
portion calling _and_running_ the NDIS code.

GPL-anal advocates claim that since the GPL driver doesn't work without
the NDIS object code, it is a GPL violation.  Linux says if the code was
not written for Linux, and the GPL portion merely allows Linux to use
it, it's not a GPL violation.

> more a windows kernel module (which it is). I should have been more precise..

Absolutely _no_difference_, the object code is intertwined -- part GPL,
part non-GPL.  Again, advocates v. Linux applies.

There are also a couple of Linux _native_ WLAN card drivers (non-NDIS)
that statically link in object code that is non-GPL.  This is because
the FCC (at least in the US) does not allow the disclosure and
modification of some signaling information.  I'm sure the FCC wish it
had pushed this on vendors back in the Prism days.  ;->

Anyhoo, same reasoning.  Even though some argue the Linux GPL code
relies on the object code, the vendors used the same object code on
other platforms.

The nVidia code is also a split GPL interface with non-GPL object
binary.  But I haven't been able to find out, with a certainty, that the
non-GPL object was built for other platforms than Linux.  Yes, nVidia's
combined kernel (memory) + GLX (Xorg/XFree portion, which doesn't have
to be GPL) is the _exact_same_design_ across FreeBSD, Linux, MacOS X and
Windows, but is that object code in the kernel the _exact_same_ used
across at least FreeBSD and/or Windows?

nVidia used to make its AGPgart driver non-GPL as well, but that is no
longer the case.  Intel lifted its NDA on nVidia with regards to the
AGPgart once PCI-Express came out.  That seemed to be clearly
Linux-only.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Again, these only apply to the kernel module for the GeForce
_video_ driver.  It does _not_ apply to nVidia's nForce chipset -- which
is available in 100% GPL -- and well supported by nVidia.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com