Kernel source -- CASE IN POINT (does anyone remember the original thread?)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Apr 18 12:20:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 21:18 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Sorry for starting it all :-). I *knew* it was a bait question/statement
> about binary drivers/apps/whatever, shoulda left it alone ....

No, it wasn't you at all.

Here was the chronology:

Donminiki asks about the source kernel (to build the nForce against):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00004.html

Arjan makes a comment that the kernel should already have a driver:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00011.html

I expand on why the forcedeth might not work (vendor MAC+PHY combo):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00012.html

Then Arjan makes an assumption, lashes at nVidia for _mainboard_vendor_
created issues (which nVidia _does_ work with the kernel team on):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00013.html

Yes, you asked your question here, but it was already too late:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00014.html

Tamal added to the non-sense here too:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00015.html

And I got a little pissed that yet another anti-nVidia thread had
started:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/amd64-list/2006-April/msg00016.html

I rather _tire_ of people confusing the nForce with the GeForce.
I rather _tire_ for nVidia helping people _more_ than ViA and others.
They try to solve problems _other_ companies create -- whether it is new
MAC+PHY combinations for the network or 3rd party IP (some from Intel no
less) they have no control over.

I really hate it when I get a pole shouved up my @$$ because I try to
explain why a driver may or may not work with an older kernel, and
mention the additional option nVidia gives you.  Newer kernels will have
an updated forcedeth that will work with newer MAC+PHY combinations.

Now that I know Arjan works for Intel, it seems a bit hypocritical.
It's some of their IP that is the problem.  I know he can't do anything
about it himself, but it does make it a little more laughable -- and
frustrating at the same time.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com