Won't install 64-bit version

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Feb 10 15:39:29 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 06:25am, Michael Miles wrote:
> I have a brand new multiprocessor AMD Opteron system and I purchased a copy
> of RH Enterprise Linux Workstation v4 which is supposed to support AMD64
> processors.   It does install on the system, but it is definitely not
> 64-bit and when I try to compile a x86_64 kernel on this system it won't
> compile apparently because all the libraries including gcc are 32-bit.

Sounds like you installed using the 32-bit (i386) CDs/DVD.

> Does RedHat have a 64-bit version of RHEL that they just don't show as
> purchaseable on their web-site?

Absolutely.  But, the 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (x86_64) CD are separate.  Did
you download ISOs and burn your own CDs?  You should have downloaded ISOs for
x86_64.  Both are available via RHN [ https://rhn.redhat.com/ ] if you have
an entitlement (a.k.a. RHN subscription).

If you had a box set of discs shipped to you, then there are both i386 and
x86_64 CDs (4 for i386 and 5 for x86_64, IIRC) in the box, 1 DVD for each
(with the SRPMS on the back side of the DVDs, which you do not need to
install unless you need to recompile any packages) and a Documentation CD, as
well.

> Thanks for any information that you can provide and let me know if anyone
> needs more information, I tried to keep it simple.

HTH
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor