opteron 146 thoughts on motherboards

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 9 01:34:15 UTC 2006

Peter Arremann wrote:

>On Saturday 07 January 2006 00:53, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 00:34 -0500, Peter Arremann wrote:
>>

>>>I have that board and the only thing that does not work in the current
>>>FC4 install is the lm sensors... that requires an additional patch that's
>>>floating around out there somewhere...
>>>

>>Okay, cool.  I've been so locked into nVidia (with the occasional
>>AMD8131/8132 mixed in) as of late that I haven't looked at much else.
>>

>I can't recommend this board for a server use or a high end setup. But if you
>are looking for a cheap way to upgrade this board is unbeatable. At about $70
>shipped you get something that will allow you to reuse your AGP card and then
>allow you to go PCI-E whenever you feel like it...
>
>Peter.

Why isn't it a good server board? I'm not trained in how to evaluate a
board that can be used for server applications.

I installed an Athlon 64 X2 4400 "processor in a box" on this board. AMD
puts in a heat sink that has nice looking copper heat pipes on one side.
The heat sink can take a little try, try again to fit onto the mating
black hold-down assembly that surrounds the CPU socket, and you want the
pipes to be on the side where the ATX 12v connector is, not on the
northbridge side.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my old mainboard....it is
still perfectly good. It's sitting in a nice antistatic bag for the time
being.

Bob Cochran