opteron 146 thoughts on motherboards

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jan 10 20:19:53 UTC 2006

> > that I haven't thought of. I'm not sure I fully understand what
> > lm_sensors will give you -- is this the ability to remotely check things
> > like the CPU temperature? Using SNMP?
> lm_sensors is the underlaying code for accessing SMBus implementations. SMBus
> (System Management Bus) is a very simple serial bus based on I2C that is used
> to monitor the system. What can be monitored depends on the board but usually
> its things like temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. I've seen PCI bus

right.  for interest, "real" servers also tend to have IPMI,
which is a network-able standard that often includes a small
coprocessor, and also gives access via SMBus sensors.  among the
most valuable features of IPMI-type remote-management interfaces
is the ability to cold/warm reset, power on/off, and often have
some access the bios/console.

I'm not sure why, but SNMP doesn't seem to go along with IPMI-type
remote management widgets.

regards, mark hahn.