compiling latest kernel on amd64 -- initrd?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jan 12 22:04:01 UTC 2006

chris <dfxinfx123 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I get successful compiles but when I make install it
> complains that it is missing the sata_nv driver.  My hd's
> are sata so obviously kernel panic on boot.  I have sata
> enabled in my .config, (under scsi settings not the
> deprecated version).  Anyone else experiencing this
> problem?

You need an initial root disk (initrd) with sata_nv (which
has dependencies on scsi_mod and sd).  Anything that uses
SCSI is a module so it must be put in an initrd if it's the
boot device.

If you have a scsi_hostadapter alias in /etc/modprobe.conf
(e.g., alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv), when you run
"mkinitrd", it should automatically generate it (and all
dependencies).

So literally all you need to do is run:
  mkinitrd /boot/initrd-(your_ver/label) (your_ver/label)

And add that initrd to GRUB.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com