motherboard comparison

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jan 24 19:30:21 UTC 2006

"Chiu, PCM (Peter)" <P.C.M.Chiu at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone has any experience with Tyan S2882-D and S2891
> motherboards in their support with Suse 10/9.x with Dual
> Opteron 254 cpus?
> In particular, we would like to know if there is any
> significant performance difference between these two with
> 4x2GB DDR400MHz memory.

Depending on the model of the older S288x, the BIOS/APIC
registers might only support 166MHz DDR (DDR333/PC2700)
synchronous clock for the memory, even though the CPUs
support 200MHz DDR (DDR400/PC3200).  Haven't checked BIOS
updates on that because I haven't had really any of those
boards, although you'll probably want it for the dual-core
CPU support (if there is one available).

The newer S289x were clearly designed with 200MHz DDR
(DDR400/PC3200) in mind, as well as dual-core processors.

BTW, the memory capabilities have _nothing_ to do with the
HyperTransport chips used for I/O.

I.e., the 288x is AMD8151, AMD8131 and/or AMD8111
combinations.
The 289x is nForce Pro 2200, nForce Pro 2050 and/or AMD8131
combinations.
Those have to do with I/O and peripherals.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com