AMD64 chipset Linux support ....

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 12 05:06:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 23:54 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> 1st link got me the generic server board page, nothing specific, my
> misfire ?

It's a _different_ page than the normal mainboard page.

> I *am* looking at Opteron,

Just because it's an Opteron does _not_ mean any mainboard that takes it
is server-quality!  We've had that discussion before too!  You'd be
better off going with an older P4 with a cheap E7210 mainboard (although
they are becoming more scarce as the E7221/7230 are more popular now).

> & found the K8T800 board on a price basis alone.

Yes!  I know!

> Tyan makes a S939 board,

Tyan makes server, workstation _and_ desktop mainboards too.
Socket-939 is a desktop and workstation/entry-level server platform.

> NewEgg got 'em for ~$195.00 last I looked.

What chipset is on that board?

> I *don't* need the I/O just now, just good RAM/CPU/reliability ....

And what's your application?

Again, an extra $100 _before_ you put the $1K+ system makes
all-the-difference.  It's not just server I/O.

--
Bryan J. Smith          Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com