DVD download

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 25 14:02:58 UTC 2006

If you are talking about the FC5 downloads....why not use rsync or wget?
You need to do this on software capable of downloading files greater
than 2 Gb in size. On my Fedora Core 4 x86_64 system, I've successfully
pulled down DVDs using both rsync and wget.

I never use http downloads for large files.

If I were on a Microsoft Windows XP system, I'd use the built-in ftp
client. I've never tried doing that with the DVD but it should be no
trouble.

I've noticed that Bittorrent has changed lately and the download speeds
are awful. All I can say to the Bittorrent faithful who would claim my
networking skills suck is that if I use rsync, I can download a DVD in
about 8 hours. If I use Bittorrent, that same DVD takes 36 hours.

Bob Cochran