"powernow-k8: MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS structure" or Opteron Friendly BIOS?

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Jan 18 16:34:00 UTC 2007

I just upgraded my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum from a single core Athlon 64
3500+ to an Opteron 185. Everything works well except CPU scaling due to
the "...PSB BIOS structure" error from the powernow-k8 module.. I'm
guessing I'm at the mercy of MSI for a BIOS update but I'm doubtful I'll
get one anytime soon (the last official release was December of 2005.)

So, that leaves me with trying to get another motherboard. Does anyone
know of a board that has a dual-core friendly BIOS (so that cpu
frequency scaling works under Fedora) that is similar to the MSI? I
could move to PCI-e video but the Opteron 185 and my 3GB of memory would
be going in for sure. This is really just a home desktop/game playing
machine that runs linux 95% of the time so a server type board is
overkill.

Specific known working motherboard models appreciated.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |