Quad Cores

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Jan 15 13:08:04 UTC 2008

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I'd like to build a quad core machine for my wife, either AMD or
> Intel, but quad core. What motherboard and CPU combination will yield
> really good performance?
>
> Bob Cochran

1st hand: Gigabyte 965P-DS3, Q6600 (Intel), 8 GB of RAM. *FAST*. However
.... I am using it (under FC7) in runlevel 3 (as a poor-man's server),
so can't comment on gfx performance, etc. We also have a Gigabyte
P35-DS3 at work, runlevel 5 w/ FC7, 8 GB RAM, but a mundane gfx card
(nVidia, PCIE-16X, 32 MB RAM, 6600 (I think)), works AOK, *FAST* CPU. I
like AMD fine & dandy, but right now Intel has 'em for raw
speed/performance ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."