anaconda 7.2 vs e2fsprogs 1.27

For some reason I can't remember, a few weeks ago I upgraded the e2fsprogs
in my RHL 7.2-based tree to the 1.27-3 package from RHL 7.3. I can't
remember particularly why I did this, but I'm pretty sure I had a good
reason at the time.

Anyway, I've suddenly discovered that anaconda will no longer work properly
when rebuilt against this tree -- it crashes when trying to format the
partitions, with an exec error -- and sure enough, /usr/sbin/mkfs.ext2 and
/usr/sbin/mke2fs are size 0 in netstg1.img and hdstg1.img.

Everything works fine if I put e2fsprogs-1.26 back in the tree (except of
course whatever problem I upgraded to 1.27 to solve).

The two packages look almost identical -- 1.27 just adds mkfs.ext3 as
another link. Yet one works, and the other doesn't. This is driving me
batty. Any suggestions?