Re: Custom Kernel problem

Hi,
In addition to what Stas mentioned, do not forget to run /sbin/lilo for your changes to take effect.
If you cannot get into your system at all, you will need to use the rescue option; put in your CD,
then at the boot: prompt, type:
boot: linux rescue

Hope that helps.

 -Depankar

Stas Goshtein wrote:
Hello there,
It ssems that all new pre-patched RH kernels using LABELs to mark partitions in your lilo.conf or grub.conf.
Use df -k to find the /dev/hd* file of your / (root) partition.  Change the root=LABEL=/ to root=/dev/hd*X (fro example root=/dev/hda3) in lilo or grub kernel options.

Stas@

Akash Malhotra wrote:

Hi ALL

I am new in the field of customization of kernel.

I am trying to build custom kernel for redhat 8. I did everystep given in
the custoning kernel section of REDHAT 8 maunal and i dint get any errors.

rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS.kernel-source*

ln -l /usr/src/linux-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux

make dep
make
make bzImage
make modules
make install
make modules_install

But when i restarted my system using my customized kernel my system hangs
giving this problem

VFS: Cannot open root device " Label=/" or 00:00

Kernel Panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

And my system hangs.

ANy help is appreciated in this regard

-Akash