readmap failure: ioctl failed: invalid argument.

Hello everyone,
I've done enough bash-ones-head-against-monitor to track this down, and I don't know why that my anaconda/installer building is failing
at ..../scripts/getkeymaps:
AFAIK, It goes and finds fonts under /lib/kbd/i386/qwerty, then loads them and then runs utils/readmap.c (ok, the executable of) and it fails on line 39 on the following block:
if (ioctl(console, KDGKBENT, &entry)) {
perror("ioctl failed");
exit(1);
}

My own guess is that I've set my LOCALE or LANG to some bad value, but I unset it when I want to create a new set of installer images, and my LANG is 'C'.
Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Any and all ideas are welcome,

Masoud