faster anaconda development cycle?

Hello,
I've been doing anaconda development (for a custom-distro installer project) since anaconda-7.1 days. In order to speed up creating images, I used to mount -o loop stage2.img to somewhere, erase the .pyc file to be changed and copy over the new .py file just to see whether my change/new screen layout/functionality works or not. Then when I was satisfied with the results (which could get more than 10 changes to set of files to get something right) I'd rebuild anaconda and make them nfs/ftp available to our testers.
Recently I got the task to port the whole set of changes to anaconda-8. I've found that anaconda-8 (and installer images on the install cdrom, especially stage2.img) is now using cramfs (compressed ramfs) instead of the good-old ext2. therefore, while able to examine the .py files on the stage2.img, I can't change them and test the results and because of this, I have to rebuild the installer on every change/syntax error fix and such, with takes 8-10 minutes on my workstation.
Is there a faster approach (other than buying the latest and fastest processor/workstation) to decrease this time?
thanks in advance,
Masoud