Re: hostname-bug/problem in anaconda network.py

On Thu May 15 2003 at 14:33, Daniel Nilsson wrote:

> I think I found a bug in setting hostname in anaconda (RedHat 8 and 9).
>
> Problem: hostname appears on 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts but hostname should
> be on separate line. (It resolves fine during install).

That is deliberately done by design (and has done for a long time,
at least since rh7.1 or so, perhaps 6.x).  It doesn't cause any
runtime problems (at least none that I have ever noticed).

While many people insist that it is a BadThing(tm), there are good
reasons for doing this.  (I won't go into it all the arguments right
now, but it does solve problems that can otherwise happen with
applications like window managers).

Cheers
Tony