extracting XFree86 file from anaconda install

is there any way to grab a copy of the XFree86 file used during the anaconda installation?

i ask because i have a machine that installs in graphical mode but when it comes to rebooting the machine - X crapped out at the rhgb stage. This was solved by removing rhgb from the grub line but then trying to init 5 - X had troubles again. I now boot init 3 but cant get X to run (the graphics card is an old cyrix something or other)

I'm thinking if anaconda can get the X config right - why not steal a copy of its config and use it later?

any ideas?