AR

From: anaconda-devel-list-admin redhat com
[mailto:anaconda-devel-list-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Ido Yellin
Sent: 19 November 2003 09:03
To: anaconda-devel-list redhat com
Subject: RH9 custom installation CD - some basic questions

We need to create a CD that will include a minimal Redhat 9 installation and
the installation of our software product, so that all one will have to do is
boot a new machine with the CD and the RH9 and our product will be
automatically installed.
I have gone through the archives and here's what I understand. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.
?
Regarding the first part (automatic minimal installation of RH9), I have 2
1. I can create a Kickstart installation, e.g. following Brett Schwarz's
article - http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6473. By the way, is
there an update of this article for RH9?
2. I can create an installation CD using buildinstall, e.g. following Luigi
Bitonti's article -
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/howto/other-formats/html_single/RedHat
-CD-HOWTO.html.
Now, from what I understand, I can use either one. Right? What are the
arguments for each option?
?
Regarding the second part (automatic installation of our product too), is
the situation any different?
?
And some more questions:
1. According to Luigi Bitonti's article, I'm supposed to use splitdistro.
But the idea was to have only 1 CD. So, can I simple use the 1st CD, and
ignore the rest?
2. Do the 2 options mutually exclude each other, or is there a situation in
which I'll combine them?
3. I don't intend this CD to be used by a power user, so I want everything
to be automatic. I don't want the user to have to answer questions. Does it
mean that I have to create a kickstart installation CD (in order for all the
questions to be answered in advance)?
?
Thanks,
Ido
?
?
Buy land - they've stopped making it. - Mark Twain
Ido Yellin
WebCohort Ltd.
E-mail: ido WebCohort com
?