Re: kernel-smp question

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 09:09, Ido Yellin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a custom RH9 kickstart install CD, and I have a question
> regarding the kernel-smp RPM.
>
> First, just to make sure I understand correctly - on multi-cpu machines
> I'm supposed to install the kernel-smp instead of the kernel RPM, right?

Actually, you usually install both the SMP and the UP kernels--just in
case.

> Ideally, I'd like to make one CD that will match both one-cpu and
> multi-cpu machines, i.e. when booting the machine with the CD, if the
> machine has one cpu, the kernel will be installed, and if it's
> multi-cpu, the kernel-smp will be installed. Is this possible? If so,
> how do I do that?

It should just work out of the box.  Anaconda is smart enough to
recognize when it is running on a SMP machine, and install the correct
kernel, just like it recognizes that it is on a PII+ and installs the
i686 kernel instead of the i386 one.

Forrest