kernel panic: unable to mount root FS

hi,
I have compiled kernel using these commands:
under /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8 :
make xconfig
make bzImages modules modules_install
make dep
my loader is grub, so when typing this command grub root (hd0,6) setup hd0
it says syntax error , note that parameters of root were token from
/boot/grub/grub.conf; so I made: grub
                                 root (hd0,6)
                                 setup hd0
and the system says successful.
but when rebooting I have this message:
can not open root device " label=/"
please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic : vfs: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

please any help!