Re: %post --name

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:53:11 -0400
> Christopher Boumenot <boumenot gmail com> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to know what post script is executing, but do to
>> their nature that is impossible.  Would you accept a patch that added
>> --name argument to %post (and %pre) to tell Anaconda what the
>> scriptlet's name is?  I am open to other suggestions.
>
> Why can't the script itself output debug info like this?  %pre and
> %post are treated as a single script.  Have echos or some such saying
> "calling foo" then "calling bar" as you call other scripts from the
> %pre/%post stuff.  Also those scripts your calling could in turn be
> calling yet other things, so the onus of debugging I think clearly lies
> upon the authors of the script.

What I really want to do is make my life easier, and digging through logs is painful.    It is even more troublesome when there was a subtle error.  Anaconda knows exactly when a script error'ed erronously, and I just want easy access to that information.  For example, I hate when I see this in the logs.

Error code %s encountered running a kickstart %%pre/%%post script

I cringe when I read that because I have 30 scripts than just ran, and I now need to narrow it down to a specific one.  Was it the simple one that failed to create the directory (mkdir /tmp/foo/bar instead of mkdir -p /tmp/foo/bar), or was it the long one that added mucked with grub.conf.  It would save me mounds of time for Anaconda to say that a specific script failed, instead of me reconstructing what should of happened but didn't.

Christopher