Re: More thoughts as we go to git

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:16:55 +0900
John Summerfield <debian herakles homelinux org> wrote:

> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> >> Why?
> >
> > Bit duplication and having to sync changes across between where the
> > packages are built (which requires the spec file) and the upstream repo
> > is a bit annoying at times
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> If I were to pull it from git, I'd be fairly put out to find I didn't
> have the build instructions as embodied in the spec file. I see the spec
> file as the primary "scripts used to control compilation and
> installation of the executable."

It only runs 'make' and 'make install', so the Makefile(s) are actually the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable.

What is useful from the spec file is the BuildRequires, but we could fix that by having a ./configure script that checks the environment we are about to build on.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA