Re: Let's talk about some F9 (and beyond) features for anaconda

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 16:39:17 +0100
> Ralf Ertzinger <fedora camperquake de> wrote:
> > What I'd really like to see is a list of servers to netinstall
> > from. Having to manually enter a hostname and path is quite
> > ugly.
> >
> > I'm willing to look into implementing this myself if noone else
> > absolutely wants to do it.
>
> It may require yum stuff move to stage1, but there is infrastructure
> for using mirrorlists to return back a list of valid mirrors (even
> geoip close!) to install from.
>
> Again I think the painful part is hooking all that up in loader.

No, better would be moving install repo selection _out_ of the loader in
as many cases as possible.  The currently named rescue CD (ie, the iso
with the first stage as well as the second stage) should really be
getting better visibility.  And we should probably stop building things
like boot.iso.  If you're wanting to pxeboot, we can then (in the
loader) ask you just where stage2 is, grab it into RAM and then still do
"install repo source" selection in the second stage.[1]

This lets us easily handle things like mirror lists, proxies, SSL, ...

Jeremy

[1] You can then use this URL to hint a repo location to the second
stage