Re: More thoughts as we go to git

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 09:51 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Okay, so based on the feedback on the thread, I'm going to nuke the
> ChangeLog later today from the repo and set up auto-generation of it
> when we build the archive tarball.  We'll keep the spec file in the repo
> for now and see how it goes

And on the related note of commit message formatting...

Now that commits should be smaller, doing the per-file breakdown
formatting isn't entirely necessary.  Important things for the log
messages are to have the first line of the commit be a short summary as
this is what is shown in git shortlog, gitweb and other similar places.

Following that should be a more detailed change description.  If you
want to break this down per-file and function, you can or you can make
it more descriptive.  Note that comments in code are better than
documenting the details of how a function works in the commit
message :-)

Jeremy