Re: Generating comps.xml

Jos Vos wrote:
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:44:32AM +0100, Alexander Todorov wrote:

What I am ultimately looking for is a tool that will generate comps.xml skeleton based on directory containing RPM packages. AFAIK no such tool exists.

But what groups and categories you want to idenify, and what packages
you want to be included in a group as default, mandatory, and optional
can not be automated without extra information.

Group information can be extracted from the RPM package:
e.g. Group       : System Environment/Base may result in
system-environment group with base subgroup or something like that.
This group includes the packages that are tagged with that group name in the .spec file.

You are right that default, mandatory and optional is hardly automated.
For that one needs a criteria of some kind (that is probably missing in the RPM file).

Still that can be useful for 3rd party/private repositories especially when remixing Fedora. As of now I think there is no way to get 3rd party packages visible in Anaconda GUI other than comps.xml or you need a ks.cfg file to install these packages.

I am not at all sure if auto generation tool will help and that's why I need more opinions.

Greetings,
Alexander.